My Hudson won't sleep. I don't think it's good for a four year old to be as anxious and un-sleepy as Hudson is.
Last night, for example, was worse than usual. He didn't want to go to sleep-which normally isn't much of an issue- and kept making excuses. He had to pee, and put on chap stick, and turn on the lamp etc. Then he was up 2-3 times in the middle of the night telling me he couldn't sleep. It's cute for awhile but when you've been dealing with these sleep issues since December, it's not cute anymore.
On normal nights he will go to sleep fine. I put him to bed and Charles and I will watch one of our shows. Lately I've realized he's gotten used to the sound of our TV because he's very concerned about what's going on if he can't hear it. Last night we were reading with Briana and practicing spelling words and he was very upset that he couldn't hear the noise. For months I refused to let him watch TV (because I thought that's why he wanted it on) in his room at night, and he doesn't watch much during the day anyway, but I realized there is something about the noise that helps him go back to sleep. Around 2 or 3 in the morning, every morning, he would sneak out of his room, find the remote we hid, turn on his TV and go back to sleep. We've hid it well enough he can't find it but those nights are the worst. He will come up and down stairs with one excuse after the other about how he can't sleep.
I am a consistent mother. I don't let him sleep with me and I don't sleep with him. I usually don't even put him back to bed when he gets up anymore- I make him go back on his own. We have bedtime routines that are the same every single night. He takes a bath, drinks milk, and goes to bed at the same time. I know now that something about the noise of the TV helps him to go back to sleep but I'm still concerned that he keeps waking up at all. I don't understand why he wakes up so early every single morning. I gave in the last few weeks and let him keep the remote in his room so he can turn it on when he wakes up. It kind of worked for awhile. I knew he woke up because I would find him in bed asleep with the TV on in the morning but at least he didn't come downstairs and wake me up too. But after last night it didn't even matter that he could turn on the TV because he came to our room twice. On top of everything it was storming, so I gave in and slept on his floor. He sleeps really well when I'm with him.
I know some moms would say it's a bad idea to have a TV in the room at all, but he really only watches it once a week when he wants to watch a movie. TV time is not an issue with us. Hudson likes to play and be active-not sit still and stare at screens. It's only an issue at night and it's not like there are any cartoons on at 3 in the morning. He's doing it for the comfort of the noise. I think I'm going to try a radio or something to see if it will help but I think it's also an anxiety issue. When he gets fixated on something it takes a long time to let it ago. I'm still hearing about the pebble in his nose. Since the pebble incident he's been distressed when I leave him at school. He cries when I leave and he asks all day when I'm coming back. -I would like to interject here and say that I have no concerns what-so-ever about the care I leave him in. I truely believe he is just very sensitive and is having anxiety issues.
I'm really tired and what I've just written is probably not as coherent as it could be. I'm just trying to think of ways to help my anxious child. Me and Briana understand sleep is good. You should sleep as long as the world will let you.

No comments:
Post a Comment