Monday, September 8, 2014

My Magical Life

In case you didn't know, I'm a magical person. So is Charles. I magically made it through high school in one piece, and I magically finished college while raising a child. Charles and I magically pay our bills with magical money, and we magically raise good, no great kids. My job as a sub, when I have one,  is wonderful every single day. And when I don't have a job for the day I'm still magically happy about it. Charles is a magical man who magically makes it to work everyday and magically fixes train tracks. He's done this for almost 10 magical years. I magically paid for and finished a magical teaching license program and now I'm magically certified to teach English. Charles and I have been married for almost 8 magical, perfect years. We've been parents for 7 perfect, and magical years.

This is how I feel that some people look at me. They think I have super powers and not one bit of it is flattering. I know where it comes from. Many people in my family or other people I know didn't accomplish what I have a accomplished. That statement is not a put down, not a slap in the face, but a fact. We all accomplish different things at different points in our life. It was not easier for me to accomplish what I did; I did not have help, or a magic wand. And there's not one person in my family that couldn't do what I've done. I don't know why I'm different but I know that when you come from a place of low expectations and you exceed those expectations substantially,  you are not always met with praise. You are met with jealousy, and anger.

Some people think that somehow Charles was a big help. They are right if they mean emotionally. Charles finally provided me with a rock. He gave me a stable, supportive, and encouraging environment. When I met Charles he had as much money as I did. $0. He filed bankruptcy around that time and we were lucky if we had $2 to buy cheeseburgers at McDonalds. He went through trade school and I finished high school. Finally, in 2005 we got a break when I started college and he got a job at the railroad. So we had stable income but we weren't rich. We couldn't pay for college in any  way other than students loans (that we still magically pay for today). And just like your normal, average, American family we have credit card debt, rent, utilities, insurance, childcare expenses, car payments, cell phone, cable bills, etc.

This is only a summary. Telling you about my life in a few paragraphs couldn't possibly explain all the ups and downs. I don't feel like I have to explain this. I know few people read my blog and this is just my way of venting. but we're not magical. When intelligent people take a good, hard look at themselves they can figure out why their lives are off track. And when it comes down to it, it doesn't make sense to blame people for their blessings rather than looking at the holes in your own. I know I am loved and hurtful words are never a reflection on the person they are being said to. We all have different experiences and it's studpid to play the game of My Life Sucks More.

We are not magical. We are hard working. We are not perfect. We are flawed.

No comments:

Post a Comment