Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Be Kind and Feel Blessed

It’s easy to get flustered, angry, hurt, embarrassed or moody. It’s easy to blame someone for your problems. It’s easy to complain about your day, your situation, your life. It’s easy to judge other people, to point out their flaws. For example: today, I’m a little short on cash, I want a chocolate candy bar really bad but I’m on a diet, my car stinks because my dog got scared and peed in it, and I’m pretty fed up with some people at work (Doesn’t anyone know how to say thank you?). There, that was easy. I could probably think of 10 more reasons to frown or even cry; some small, and some serious. But for all the things that are wrong there is something else you should be thankful for. In life, there will always be people whose situations are better than yours and those whose situations are worse.

It’s more difficult to be happy, to smile, to laugh and to stop negative energy from affecting your overall mood. It’s more difficult to stop and think of someone else instead of your self. It’s more difficult to be kind to people who are not kind back. It’s more difficult to have faith in your future and to live for it through today. It’s more difficult to forgive…especially when it’s not asked for. But I think we should strive to be like this. For example: I have two beautiful healthy children, I have a safe home to live in, I can pay my bills this month, and I complimented my coworker the other day.

Though I am biblically challenged …I really love the verse from Matthew (7:3-5 I think)…almost as much as I love the golden rule:

“Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?”

Religious or not this is great advice in life. For every flaw…huge or tiny…that you point out in another, there is one in you. Bottom line: you don’t know their story and don’t have the authority to point fingers. They may do things you don’t understand but it’s not your job to understand. This doesn’t mean their actions are right, or that they have good excuses for what they do. It only means that it isn’t our job in life to fix other people. We can change ourselves but we can only help others.
 
As far as blessings go…stop and think a minute about all the ways you are blessed. Remember your faults. Accept those faults or do something to change them. Do something that is positive in life...not just for your life but in the lives of others. Remember why you should be thankful, why today is a good day, and who loves you. Then go remind all those people that you love them back. Take a breath and be where you are. It's one day at at time. Everyday we are reborn. Everyday is an opportunity to change your life.-This is just something I tried to remind myself of today.

Off Subject P.S. I think all religious texts have important and beautiful lessons to teach and should be read even if you don’t particularly agree with common beliefs…and actually…especially if you don’t agree. If you’ve had trouble exploring your spirituality the way I have, or you’re devoted to what you believe in…I think exploration is always important. Life is about learning.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think you are talking to just me. Thanks for sharing. I needed to read this today. How'd ya know? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know none of us are perfect but Katy, you are the kindest person I know. Sometimes I actually catch myself thinking, "what would Katy do?"

    ReplyDelete