It’s a good Monday. Take that first sentence in. I don’t say it often enough. I had my very first mid-year review at my new company today and found the guts to say to my manager that I would like to take a new position as an underwriter-trainee starting next summer (should it be offered next year and should they accept me). The training program lasts for one full year and then you’re transferred into an underwriter position. I’m so glad they take that much time to really teach you about your new position. I’m a great student and the idea of getting to do a type of “school” over again is exciting to me. Yeah I’m a nerd.
Anyway…he said that it would be okay for me to do that. He didn’t say that I need to stay in my position any longer or that I needed to learn more where I am now before I moved in a new direction. No. He just said that it was fine with him and that I should move in any direction I feel is best.
Let me just say…phew. Glad that is over! It’s hard for me say anything that might even possibly cause conflict. But I’ve been thinking about it long enough and if I’m going to stay here and I don’t want my current job to be my forever job then I have to make a change as soon as they will let me. So I did. Yay me! Everything else was okie dokie too. I have a great boss…who I’m afraid of losing actually…and he only had great things to say about me. There was no… “So what do YOU think your weaknesses are?” kind of talk.
So I think the next 9-10 months of my life will be about learning and transformation. If I’m going to do something and I’ve got this much time to prepare for it then I’m going to do it right. I’m currently job shadowing and taking online classes related to underwriting. This kind of position will help me to see a different side of insurance and be more in contact with our customers. I look forward to coming out of my shell a little and getting to know some different people. Also, insurance underwriting is more about the marking side of things and I look forward to being more creative. I’ll get to work with new customers when they want us as their carrier and not when they have experienced a loss the way I do now.
Okay okay… enough boring work talk. So tell me. Is it summer 2012 yet?
No comments:
Post a Comment