Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My Thanksgiving Plea

I am not a grouch, a scrooge and I do not say bah-humbug!  But for the sake of saving a great holiday, please consider holding your Christmas cheer until November 25. I love Christmas as much as the next Elf and I love Christmas music, and shopping, and putting up the tree. But something weird is happening. No one is excited about Thanksgiving.

This year might even be the start of the extinction of Black Friday. Suddenly, people can’t wait until the day after Thanksgiving to do holiday shopping; they want to do it the night of. I love shopping to, and I love getting great deals…but there is one thing wrong with this: more and more retail workers of the America have to miss a family holiday because they have to stand behind the cash register to check out your gifts. I think then, you are just as much to blame as the company who made them work. So it is my plea with you to not go shopping on Thursday…not even at 10pm. Enjoy the rest of fall. Enjoy your family. Cook, drink, be merry, but most of all…stay home! You have an entire month to shop, put up lights and sing Christmas carols. Stand up for those workers, and stand up for Thanksgiving. It should be appreciated for what it actually is, and not because it’s almost Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Thanksgiving is totally skipped over, for the most part. I love the simplicity of Thanksgiving: being with family, eating, maybe watching a game. There are no expectations for gifts or outdoing your neighbor's decor, etc. My extended family (still) has an annual hayride. The average age now is 25-30. We have a bonfire, tell what we are thankful for, play games, and just enjoy our time together.

    ReplyDelete