My experience with God has been an uneven, bumpy, confusing mess of tired thoughts. But I figured out years ago that it was never my experience with God that caused me such turmoil. It was in fact…my experience with religion.
Let me clarify that when I say God I always picture quotation marks around it: “God.” Because this word, God, is just that: a word. It is a word in our culture and language used to represent an idea of an ultimate or almighty being of sorts. I have a hard time with labels especially when it comes to God and religion because I think of God more as a presence, a feeling, a knowing, a truth, a destination. God is not concrete but God is not abstract. Notice that I don’t say He. I also have a hard time giving God a gender. Woman gives life to man so why couldn’t God be a woman or why does God have to have a gender at all? Gender is just another label we use to categorize ourselves to allow order on earth. Gender is a classification of our physical bodies and I don’t think it has a lot to do with our souls.
Anyway, I always knew God existed. I mean HELLO. I try really hard to appreciate and accept and understand everyone’s point of view….everyone’s. But it’s really hard to understand how a person can conclude that no creator of any sorts exists. I can feel God when I look at the stars, when I hear my kid’s laughter, when I have a great conversation with a friend. I can feel a presence around me everyday, watching me, hoping for me, loving me, guiding me. God is kindness. God is compassion. God is all the meaningful things in your life. God is truth and knowledge. God is everywhere.
So that was never an issue with me. I never denied God. I got angry but never denied. My conflict was how my internal values interfered with what religion told me was true. I’ve explored other religions than Christianity but the issue is that they all have rules and values that didn’t make sense to me. And if I didn’t agree with the basic rules of these religions then I didn’t belong in them. And if I didn’t belong in them then I must disagree with God. I must not be of God. I must be Godless. Oh no. Am I going to hell? So this is how I thought for a long time.
Then somewhere along the way it occurred to me that I am enough. What I feel, think and believe is true to me. I don’t have to do any twists or turns along the way. God is my heart and my heart tells me that God loves me and accepts me and I am going to be okay. All I have to do is be open, be kind, be giving, be truthful. And when I lose sight of those things God isn’t going to leave me. I’m not going to hell, or purgatory or be sucked into some scary black hole because I was rebellious with in my ideas of religion before I died.
Don’t get me wrong. Religion is mostly beautiful. Most of what religions teach is beautiful. The stories are powerful and meaningful and they are good for man kind. People are better because of their religious beliefs. I used to feel like I wouldn’t be welcome in any church unless I lied about what I believed but I now realize that’s not true either. Good religious people are loving and giving and full of God. They try to lack judgment and open their hearts to everyone no matter how different they are or how much they think that particular person lacks God.
I tried to look for God in religion but I couldn’t find all of God. So I gave up. I focused in on myself. The funny thing is, the more I looked at myself the more I found God. You have to look inside.
No comments:
Post a Comment