Thursday, July 7, 2011

It Is Easier to Do Nothing

Today I read a little blog post  titled Focus (http://pingandpal.blogspot.com) by my great friend Katy...and it has inspired me to write this blog post.

She shared three questions that we should use to help guide us in life:

1.  What is the most important thing to you in your personal life?
2.  What is the most important thing to you in your current job or future career?
3.  What is the change you want to see in the world? Honestly, what do you want to leave behind?

I think these are so on target. I too, am facing some decisions and change in my life right now and often have panic attacks at the thought of change...good or bad. I don't want to disappoint people and I don't want to make the wrong decisions. I need to realize that it's inevitable and I should do what's best for me and my family regardless of those fears. It's not even time to make any decisions and I'm already sweating.

Sometimes I feel like a flake for my need to constantly search for a more meaningful road in life. Why can't I be happy with what I do? Why can't I accept things the way they are? I am blessed. Why push it? Then comes the guilt. On the other hand, I get angry at other people who don't have the balls to make any life decisions at all. It is easier to do nothing then to do something great. So that's what most people do...nothing. I've been guilty of it too. All I know is that I went to college to accomplish a dream. I went to college to be unlike my family. I want to enjoy all hours of my day and have a direct impact on someone or something that needs my help. It sounds selfish almost...saying I me my me want want want. And part of it is selfish...I want to be happy. But the other part of me wants to contribute to the important issues of the world...or atleast of Missouri... so I can know it's a little better with me here. It's sounds trite...but I believe in a greater good and I think it's not right for any of us to leave this world without contributing to a greater good. 

The lesson I need to learn here is to slow down and make decisions slowly and thoughtfully. I'm the person who writes blogs too fast, gives presents too soon, and judges too quickly. I'm good at listening to other people but maybe not so good at listening and being patient with what's right in front of me. I want to reach out and grab things so quickly but often misjudge their distance.

So this is me...slowing down...taking a breath. It's a terrible thing in life when you avoid the questions around you. Say yes or say no, but remember to say something when you're ready. The questions won't go away unless you address them.

No comments:

Post a Comment