I posted that title to get your attention. Honestly, it used to be my mentality. Give up cheese, milk, eggs, sour cream and yogurt? Honey, please. You be out your mind.
I always knew in the back of my mind that the farm animals we get our animal products from are treated badly. I always had the inkling that I am contributing to a world of greedy mass consumerism. I understand where vegetarians are coming from. They don’t believe we have the right to kill innocent animals for human consumption. But what reason do vegans have to give up other animal products? Cows are not killed just for their milk and chickens are not slaughtered for eggs. And well…fish are just fish. Why should I even consider giving up these foods that I love?
Then I discovered a little term called “factory farms.” Google it, Bing it, YouTube it, Facebook it. There are tons of references. It is pretty much the evil equivalent of puppy mills and they are our main sources of animal meat and products. Animals are confined, abused, starved, medicated and treated like machines.
I’ve also learned that we can’t trust most of our food labels. Even if you feel better because you’re eating something with an “organic” label…do your research. We can not trust those labels. You just don’t know how that product was manufactured and believe me…they don’t want you to know.
I admit I can’t just stop eating cheese. Lord, help me to find a decent substitute for the foods I love. But if I keep eating these foods and feeding them to my family I must accept that I am a hypocrite, that I am a part of the chain. I am no longer ignorant to these issues.
Don’t take it from me. There are plenty of good resources out there. Here is just one.
http://chooseveg.com
USDA Certified Organic are the fishiest of them all! I avoid foods with that seal at all costs.
ReplyDelete