Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I'm Going to be a Teacher!

Here I am blogging again! I feel a lot better since the demise of my last job. Right now I’m substitute teaching for two districts and studying for an alternative teaching certification route (if you have your bachelors and want to be a teacher-ask me about it). It’s not easy and having basically one income for all this time has been a learning experience and a challenge. I have had faith that we would be fine and I guess faith goes a long ways because somehow we have paid our bills. I seriously don’t understand how we did it some months…but we did. It’s no less stressful, but we did it.

I have passed the Professional Teaching Knowledge test and now I’m studying for the English Language Art’s test. I’m already interviewing for Fall positions and really hoping someone will look past the fact that I’m not certified yet and not going the traditional route. If things go as planned I will be finished by May and certified over the Summer.

A part of me has always wanted to be a teacher. I have never felt confident enough or smart enough to pass on my knowledge to kids. Lately I have been brave and trying things. I was terrified to be a sub-but I did it. I was terrified to sub high school kids-but I did it. I was terrified to start this program-but I did it and I’m 1/3 of the way done (way faster than most)! I want to be a teacher for the kids who were like me growing up. I want to be at least the one person in their lives that encourages them and believes in them. I know it’s hard work and the pay isn’t awesome but I think it will be rewarding enough to keep me strong. The summers and holidays are a nice benefit. They are not the reason I want to teach but they definitely give me the time I need for myself to thrive and something to look forward to-not something you get with a normal job.
I feel like I have taken so long to figure out where I want to go but I just tell myself to ignore that voice and keep pushing. I mean geesh… I’m still in my twenties. Some people never figure out what they want to do with their lives. I’ll be 38 when my daughter graduates high school and have lots of time to really focus on my work. Aren’t you jealous? Here’s to a new beginning!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I have considered trying to get a teaching certificate but have been unsure of how to even get started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Take a look at abcte.org and let me know if you have questions That is the program I'm going through.

    ReplyDelete