My family lost a great man this week, greater than I ever really knew. Uncle Bill is the husband of my grandma's twin sister (both my grandma and her sister married very talented artists). He is my mom's uncle, my great uncle but I always thought of him as a grandpa-the only grandpa I ever really knew. He raised an amazing family and was an important part of St. Joseph history-a very talented man.
As we get older it seems death occurs more and more often and closer to home. It's a sad, confusing chain of thoughts. But I think we are not really grieving those who are gone. We are grieving ourselves. We are grieving what our life will be missing because that person isn't a part of it anymore.
We all know that we're going to die and that everyone around us is going to die. But I don't think we ever totally grasp that today could be our last day or the last day we'll ever see a loved one alive. Death is always sudden, even when expected. Death always leaves you wishing you had one more hug, one more chance to say, I love you. Death is hard and dark, but only for those of us who are left behind. So whenever there is a death I try to take comfort in the fact that even though I am sad and feeling lost they are not. Their spirit is free and happy.
I miss you Uncle Bill. And I do wish I could hug you just one more time.
Obituary
**If you're ever curious just how talented Uncle Bill was, take a look at the amazing paintings in the conference room at the Remington Nature Center in St. Joseph. When no one is in there I like to go in and admire them**

I'm so sorry for your loss! We were at the nature center this weekend. I'm sorry friend!
ReplyDelete