Flooding is always very strange to me. I can't quite grasp how so much water leaks out of the river and floods surrounding areas for miles and miles. I don't think we have reached the flood of 93 levels yet, but I believe we are headed in that direction. Flooding has never affected me directly. Right now I live on a big hill in north Platte City, and in the past I've always been too far in town.
Right now, at this very minute, my poor hardworking husband is outside in the heat dumping rock underneath the railroad tracks in order to raise them in Atchison (who is experiencing severe flooding) so that the trains can still pass. He has to walk uphill on the rock in order to dump it for miles and miles so his ankles are really sore from walking sideways on an unstable surface for hours. Sunday he worked a 17 hour day and he's worked late every night this week. Every night he comes home late, puts Icy-Hot on his ankles, helps with baths and then goes to sleep.
I'm angry at the railroad for being less prepared and for working their employees to the bone, but I am so thankful that I have a husband who goes out every day to do that kind of work and provide for his family. He really is the best example of hard work that I've ever seen. My hero.
No comments:
Post a Comment